All it takes is a few beautiful days of sunshine for dreams of summer fun to start creeping into our everyday thoughts. It may be a little too soon for backyard parties and heating your pool, but it’s not too early to start thinking about safety around it. Way too many people fatalities occur in pools each year, so make sure you’re doing your part to keep it safe. Here are a few pool safety tips to keep in mind as we near the summer season.
- Fence the pool area to make sure it not in use when you’re not around to supervise.
- Never leave children unsupervised and never leaving toys floating as they can be a deadly temptation for toddlers.
- Make sure filters and other mechanical devices are in proper working order. In case of emergency, be sure to know how to shut these devices off.
- Have emergency numbers easily accessible along with a first aid kit, ring buoys and reaching poles. Give consideration to taking a CPR course.
- Finally, clearly understand the ability of all swimmers using your pool as some may need more supervision than others.
Stay safe and be prepared to enjoy the summer sun!