Simple Steps to Keep Summer Burglaries at Bay
June is in full swing and we know what that means, time to plan those summer holidays. Yay! Whether you plan on staying close to home or travelling abroad, we have some excellent no-fail tips to keep burglaries at bay, so you can sleep a little sounder and play a little harder.
Many people love summer, including thieves. Industry data shows burglary frequencies peak in the summer months, with the highest number actually occurring on Fridays. During summer when many of us are away from home, our unoccupied residences become an attractive target for burglars. It’s very important for Homeowners to be vigilant in safeguarding their property to avoid losing high-value or priceless sentimental items.
Intruders usually enter a home one of three ways – through the basement, forcing entry through a window or door, or simply opening an unlocked door or window. Here are a few simple precautions to help prevent an intruder.
- Ensure all windows are locked.
- Make a home look occupied when you’re away. Park a car in the driveway, leave some lights on and ask a neighbour to collect your mail and newspapers.
- Install a security device with a loud alarm or flashing lights.
- Use deadbolt locks on all your doors.
- Trim shrubs and trees that obscure windows so a burglar can’t use them as a cover. Cut tree limbs that could help nimble thieves climb into second-storey windows.
- Store ladders and tools in a locked garage or shed.
- If you have access to your home from a garage, treat that door as an exterior door – bolt it.
If you have any questions about a claim or your home insurance policy, be sure to give us a call, our home insurance experts are here to provide advice.
Have a safe and happy summer!!